The Brevard Heritage Council, the county's oldest historic preservation group, http://www.brevardheritagecouncil.org/ would like to invite local history lovers to an open house at the Council's new home, the City Point Church, on February 18th starting at 4pm. It will be a great chance to view this historic structure and meet the board members of the Council. The BHC is famous for its historic home tours, annual property awards, monetary grants to deserving groups and much more. They can always use volunteers and new members to support their work, so if you are interested stop by and say hi and partake in some light refreshments!
The City Point church is owned by the county and has been leased to the Brevard Heritage Council to be used as a meeting space and a home for their records. The former church is on the National Register and the following interesting history can be found on the marker in front of the building.
Known as City Point, this area was settled shortly after the Civil War by Confederate veterans, citrus grove workers, northern winter residents, and consumptives seeking a healthy climate. By early 1885, a board of trustees was formed consisting of William H. Sharpe, George W. Holmes, A.L. Hatch, John M. Sanders, and George E. Chester, to construct this building to be used for a public hall, school, and non-denominational church for both white and black residents. On land donated by J.C. Norwood, this building was designed by A.L. Hatch and built by John M. Sanders who completed the work on November 1, 1885. This structure served as the beginning congregation for the following churches: the United Methodist Church of Cocoa, Church of Christ, Church of God, Primitive Baptist Church, Calvin Baptist Church, Indian River Baptist Church, Baptist Enterprise Church, and the First Apostolic Temple. The building was used as a school until 1924. Picnics, dances, political rallies, a precinct voting station and observation tower during World War II, were some of the many uses the community found for the building.